Wikimania is the annual convening of people in the global Wikimedia community. Typically, the conference happens in person in a different country every year. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s Wikimania is happening virtually, August 14–17. Join us!
Wiki Education is participating in a number of sessions:
- How Wiki Education Foundation promotes knowledge equity, Sunday, August 16 at 21:00 UTC: Frank Schulenburg, LiAnna Davis, Ian Ramjohn, Jami Mathewson, and Will Kent will provide an overview of Wiki Education’s work in the context of knowledge equity.
- Sharing decolonization strategies throughout Wikimedia projects, Saturday, August 14, 11:45 UTC: Ian, together with Mariana Fossatti of Wikimedistas de Uruguay User Group and Luisina Ferrante of Wikimedia Argentina will share perspectives about decolonizing Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement.
- Making collection data collaborative, Sunday, August 15, 20:25 UTC: Will and Ian Gill from the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art will present how Ian was able to make SFMOMA’s data more collaborative after taking one of Will’s Wikidata Institute courses.
- Consistency and Large Projects, Sunday, August 15, 21:30 UTC: Will and Hilary Thorsen, Susan Radovsky, and Sarah Kasten from the LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group and the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) Wikidata pilot will discuss how they’ve run their projects to the betterment of Wikidata.
- Celebrating the Wikipedia Education Program, Monday, August 17 at 9:30 UTC: LiAnna will join other board members of the Wikipedia & Education User Group to talk about their group’s work.
- Many of our global colleagues who support education work are also presenting! To see the full agenda, visit the Wikimania wiki.
Debuting this year are a series of on-demand sessions. Ian’s presentation, “Verifiability, Notability and Reliable Sources: to praise and bury Wikipedia’s unassailable triumvirate”, will be available through this track.
Wiki Education is also participating in the Unconference running alongside the program. Sage Ross and LiAnna will host an unconference session on Sunday, August 16, at 17:00 UTC on Tips & Tricks for Programs & Events Dashboard. Global program leaders who want to know more about using the Dashboard are encouraged to attend.