This weekend is WikiConference North America, a virtual gathering of Wikimedians who will share our experiences. Wiki Education board, staff, and program participants are featured prominently in the schedule.
Board member Carwil Bjork-James is a plenary speaker. We also extend our thanks to our board members Richard Knipel and Bob Cummings, both of whom have helped to plan the conference.
Sessions Wiki Education’s staff are running include:
- Chief Programs Officer LiAnna Davis is collaborating with the Smithsonian’s Kelly Doyle for a session on How the Smithsonian and Wiki Education are adding biographies of American women
- Chief Technology Officer Sage Ross and LiAnna are teaming up to show off the Programs & Events Dashboard – Tips & Tricks for Event Organizers
- Director of Partnerships Jami Mathewson, Senior Program Manager, Wikipedia Student Program Helaine Blumenthal, and Wikidata Program Manager Will Kent are leading a presentation, Survey Says: What Wiki Education’s program participants say about joining the Wikipedia and Wikidata communities
- Will is also explaining, How do you even teach Wikidata?
- Jami, Senior Wikipedia Expert Ian Ramjohn, and Will are also running a session, Engaging subject-matter experts during a national emergency: Wiki Education and COVID-19
Program participants are also well represented in these sessions, all involving instructors who teach in our Wikipedia Student Program:
- Expert fact-checkers rely on Wikipedia. You and your students should too!
- News On Wiki, Phase 2 complete; Future steps with ASU journalism school
- 2Rāth: To Digitally Preserve Arab Literary Heritage
- Current developments in Wikipedia-integrated academic journals
- Information Has Value: Engaging Students as Wikipedia Editors
- Wikipedia as Information Literacy Vector: Authority and Undergraduate Students
- Engaging the University Community with Wikipedia Curating and Creation
- When Students contribute to Wikipedia: A Local Initiative with Global Reach
- Teaching Engineering Writing and Ethics with the Wikipedia Writing Assignment
- Decolonizing Wikipedia
- Wikipedia and the Representation of Reality
We’re looking forward to the conference; we hope to see you there!