For press inquiries, please reach out to LiAnna Davis: liannawikiedu.org.
- Wiki Education Foundation receives grant from Hewlett Foundation (November 1, 2016)
- Ted Yang elected to Wiki Education Foundation board (July 7, 2016)
- Dr. Carwil Bjork-James elected to Wiki Education Foundation board (March 7, 2016)
- WikiConference USA to be held at the National Archives in October (July 22, 2015)
- Sue Gardner, Shadi Bartsch-Zimmer elected to Wiki Education Foundation board (July 21, 2015)
- Lorraine Hariton elected to Wiki Education Foundation Board (August 18, 2014)
- Wiki Education Foundation board adds Karen George (June 20, 2014)
- Karen A. Twitchell joins Wiki Education Foundation board (June 11, 2014)
- John Willinsky joins Wiki Education Foundation board (May 8, 2014)
- Wiki Education Foundation receives grant to support programmatic activities (April 14, 2014)
- Frank Schulenburg named executive director of Wiki Education Foundation (February 12, 2014)
Writing about the Wiki Education Foundation
The Wikimedia ecosystem can be confusing at times. The following guide is intended as a quick reference to help reporters understand the various pieces involved in Wikipedia and higher education initiatives.
The Wiki Education Foundation (Wiki Ed) is an independent, grant-supported non-profit institution which supports the use of Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects in higher education contexts across the United States and Canada. It is based in The Presidio of San Francisco. The executive director is Frank Schulenburg. For the purpose of differentiation, please do not use “the foundation,” “Wiki Edu,” “WEF” or “Wikipedia Education Foundation.” (“Wiki Ed” is acceptable on second reference). You can find relevant statistics about our program at our impact page.
The Wikipedia Education Program was created by the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) in 2010. It is designed to support instructors who create Wikipedia assignments for their classroom. The Wikipedia Education Program is global in scope. The WMF supports this program outside of the USA and Canada with tools, resources and other materials. The Wiki Education Foundation (Wiki Ed) is distinct from the Wikipedia Education Program. Wiki Ed is focused exclusively on supporting the Wikipedia Education Program within the USA and Canada.
For more information about Wikipedia or the Wikimedia Foundation, please visit their Frequently Asked Questions page.