The Wiki Education Foundation is a young 501(c)3 nonprofit devoted to connecting academic resources to the publishing power of Wikipedia, and expanding access to information for all. In our most established program, university instructors across the USA and Canada assign students to add content to Wikipedia articles related to their coursework. Students gain key skills such as writing, research, critical thinking, and media literacy. Meanwhile, Wikipedia’s content grows. It’s an elegant solution that has connected thousands of students to millions of readers.
We have one open position for a Senior Development Manager.
Senior Development Manager
About the Wiki Education Foundation
Founded in 2013, the Wiki Education Foundation brings Wikipedia and universities together. We improve the breadth, scope, and quality of Wikimedia content and provide students with a deeper learning experience while strengthening key 21st century skills like information literacy, online collaboration, and critical thinking. In our main program, students write Wikipedia articles instead of a traditional term paper, reaching millions of Wikipedia readers with their work.
In a nutshell: we are a small, successful, well-run organization with a friendly, collegial, and highly collaborative work culture. With a team of eleven, we create mind-boggling impact and we need someone who can translate our numbers and metrics into meaningful relationships with new funders.
About the job
Working closely with the Executive Director, you’ll be responsible for ensuring the financial sustainability of Wiki Education Foundation’s operations and programs. In the beginning, you’ll focus heavily on building new relationships rather than solely maintaining existing ones (for a simple reason: we have very few existing relationships; the ones we have are strong, yet we want to expand our network).
We are seeking a person who is results-oriented and entrepreneurial: who enjoys picking up the phone and evangelizing on behalf of a successful high-impact nonprofit. As our senior leadership is comfortable with proposal and report writing, those are not the core skills we’re seeking.
Your first project will be to secure funding for a Wikipedia content campaign that we’re planning to roll out later this year. It’s going to be a highly visible project and you’re going to play a key role in it. Now, keep in mind that Wiki Ed has a small staff and you’ll be our sole fundraiser – that’s why it will be critically important that you know how to prioritize your work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- substantially grow Wiki Education Foundation’s donor base by cultivating strong relationships with prospects, securing support from philanthropic institutions and corporations, and (to a lesser extent) soliciting donations from individuals
- ensure that the donor/funder experience is positive and constructive; ensure Wiki Education Foundation stewards ongoing engagement with all donor constituencies and key stakeholders
- communicate directly with and/or ensure that Wiki Education Foundation’s supporters and partners receive timely ongoing communications, acknowledgment, and appropriate donor recognition opportunities
- work collaboratively with senior staff on materials necessary to secure financial support and partnerships, and to comply with requirements for reporting on use of funds
- Minimum 5 years experience as a fundraiser in a nonprofit environment
- A mission-driven individual with an understanding of, belief in and commitment to the benefits of freely available information
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain strong relationships with donors and potential donors; strong track record of bringing in grants and gifts
- A strong believer in the value of using Wikipedia in the classroom who can powerfully embody the vision of the Wiki Education Foundation
- Dedication and commitment to excellence and quality
- Enjoys being part of a small and very energetic team; must enjoy rolling up their sleeves and getting things done
- Must meet deadlines, be extremely productive and set a good example to others
Compensation and workplace
We offer a competitive salary (depending on prior experience and negotiable) and an excellent benefits package. Workplace will be our beautiful office in the Presidio of San Francisco.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability status, gender, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Candidates must submit a cover letter describing how they meet the required qualifications of this role. Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered. Please email your C.V. and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Development Manager application” in the subject line. The application deadline is Friday, March 10.